Coronavirus Task List and Butternut Squash
Good morning world! With all the sickness, sadness, fear and pain that is currently permeating this world, I am committed to blogging at least two times a week. I have so many fun, light, joyful and easy ideas that we currently do that I want to share the joy! Partially because I think we can all use some new recipes, fun kid activities, and house projects but also because it will be good for my brain to focus on the good things my little family is getting to do in this season.
With my kids home for the next three to eight weeks, I am totally focused on the fun. You will not find a color-coded chart of our day here… I am realistic and know that will never work for me. We do have daily tasks that have to happen at some point! They are as follows…
- Move our bodies in an active way.
- Breathe fresh air at least once.
- Do 30 minutes (am and pm) of some kind of learning.
- Something creative.
- Screen time! Because we all like to just sit and watch a fun show sometimes and that is ok.
- Read our bible together.
- Eat food.
- Be nice to one another!
Ok, let me break these down just a bit more.
- Move our bodies! This will be intentional but not look the same day to day. We will walk, dance, run, yoga, stretch, these all count! As long as we do it together and give it our best it counts!
- Breathe fresh air! I am hoping we get an hour a day outside but with Indiana weather in spring, that is most likely not going to happen. So even if it is means on our front porch in the rain for one minute, it counts! I just want us each to take a deep breath of outdoor air!
- Learning time! 30 minutes in the morning and afternoon. This can be an app, reading books, writing spelling words, practicing patterns, etc. My kids are 3 years apart so it varies for each of them. I have no curriculum, I just know I will spend two hours each day, with kids teaching them something. I need this number mentally for myself, more than for them. Also, I know lots of you will do more, will say this isn’t enough, or just will roll your eyes at me, but I know my strengths…teaching is not one of them. I will focus hard for short periods of time to “teach” them but I believe very strongly that my kids learn through lots of activities that don’t look like school. Already this am my son has written and drawn a comic book. The other is writing his letters constantly making up words. All this is learning to me but doesn’t fall in the time frame I mentioned above.
- Something Creative! Baking, cooking, beads, colors, paint, sidewalk chalk, fabric, stickers, lego cities, who knows… This area has lots of room for flexibility. We will make sidewalk chalk cities, draw tattoos all over our bodies with washable markers, paint our own food monsters, who really knows. I just want to make sure they are thinking outside the box a little each day.
- Screen time! Because we all like to just sit and watch a fun show sometimes and that is ok. Let’s be honest, momma may need a little breather and I am totally cool with admitting that. Also, don’t think I don’t love a little kids tv every once in a while.
- Bible time can mean a long time discussing or literally me reading a verse over them while they play and don’t even acknowledge me. I just want to make sure we are reading it, hearing it, and trying to focus on it daily.
- Food! Because let’s be honest. We need it to live and it tastes good.
- NO MATTER WHAT, we will do our very very best to love each other well within the walls of our home. We will take deep breaths, think about our words, and fingers crossed speak kindly to one another.
There you have it. My very unofficial, official plan for our house. No schedule, just a list we plan to accomplish each day. Are you a strict schedule kind of person or are you more footloose and fancy-free like me?!? No matter the case, let’s just do our best.
With all this time at home, as I said, I have lots of fun to share with yall! I commit to blogging AT LEAST TWICE A WEEK! I am starting with this recipe! That was a lot of words to get here. Haha. Welcome to life with me. All the words, all the time.
This recipe came about because I went to a baby shower for my gorgeous friend Heather and my talented friends Kelly, Bridgette, and Courtney hosted. Super yummy food and even better company. Needless to say, they served this butternut squash dish I couldn’t stop thinking about. Several ingredients were mentioned but I didn’t get the actual recipe before I left. So…here we are. One random trip to Meijer and I snagged a butternut squash and decided to give it a go.
It actually turned out great! You will need to play with the ingredients to fit your liking. I got it as close to theirs as I could. I may add a little more salt and honey the next time. I hope you enjoy and tag me if you make it! I want to see if you and your kids liked it. One of mine did…the other not so much. Ha.
Happy creating. Wash your hands, stay home, love your people, and God Bless!